Friday, May 27, 2005

Detroit Yacht Club Regatta

This was starboard windward start with the pin end favored with 6 knots of air. There were only 3 boats in this race. Merlin had Wally Cross on the boat and by staying to the left of them I would be able to take the pin end. Unfortunately I later found out that they had a new #1 and mainsail. Although we started to weather we were not able to point up with them and we simple had to go to leeward and a little behind. We rounded the next mark in 2nd just ahead of J. Since the apparent wind was at 85 degrees I decided to us the .75 which initially fast. towards the end of the leg it was definately downwind conditions.At the gybe point we went with the .6 with a gybe peel. I made the decision to go on the canadian shore because I felt the wind was stronger. Merlin covered us but later gybed up to Jwalker on the far right. I decided to cut the rear range light close because I thought that side would be stronger pressure. It turned out that the american side had more air where Merlin and J got more pressure to finish in front of us.

Usually the left strategy works for these conditions but they do not call it Lake St. Stupid for nothing.

Result : 3rd out of 3

Link: http://www.drya.org/race2006/Results/dyc.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment