Monday, July 25, 2005

Runup to Bayview Mackinaw

Rodney sent me an email regarding Robs Amsler's comments in the freep. I guess you can't win anything in the paper. Its got to be on the water!

"Merlin, owned by Robert Amsler of Clinton Township, won the J-120 class last year and will be a contender this year. But it will have some tough competition. "Our standard best competition has been Hot Ticket up through the years, but this year, there are two big guns that are coming on strong, Carinthia and Night Moves," Amsler said. "If I weren't betting on me, I'd be betting on the two of them and probably Carinthia, because they are both doing great jobs." "All are Detroit-area boats."

Here is an excerpt from the Detroit News -

"Lynn Kotwicki of Royal Oak will crew on the 40-foot Carnithia, which will sail on the Southampton Course. She said the women who sail the Mackinac race make their teams stronger. "You'll find that the boats that have women perform better, in my opinion," Kotwicki said. "I think there is a better chemistry on those boats. The women help level out the macho-ness of the guys. And plus, people don't realize what a deep experience this is. You're with a group of people, racing in sometimes tough conditions, night and day. You really get to know people, and I think that's a very special experience. "It's like going away to adult summer camp. The sailing is great, the people are even better."

No comments:

Post a Comment