Thursday, September 7, 2006

Windsor Wednesday Race - Who me barge?

This race was only one leg out and back to finish. 5 minutes before the gun we were reading 60 degrees apparent on port but at the gun we were getting 50 degrees. I did a dipsy doodle on starboard and then turned port at 30 seconds before the start. Unfortunately Night Moves was to our left and came down fast. I though I could catch them barging but when I started making that point they retorted that if I could hit them then they were barging. As much as I tried they were just too far out in front. We followed them at the gun and put up the code 0. Farther down the leg as we got headed we went back to the genoa. After rounding A we put up the .6 oz and tried to roll NM. We barely made the mark and at DP7 I had to give room to 2 J105s on port. It was certainly a protestable offense for them but being a beer can race I did not throw the flag. In any case they messed up the jibe and we passed them anyway. Because I was still trying to over take NM I stayed too far right and we eventually hit a hole that Hot Ticket did not get. They beat us by 4 seconds. ONe lesson learned that if you look at the chart you can see that the wind will last longer on the left side of the river.

Result: 3rd out of 6 J120s
Link: http://www.windsoryachtclub.com/regatta2006/WYC%202006%20Fall%20Race%204.pdf

COURSE 5 - 4.6 nautical miles
Start to A (110o) leaving it to starboard
-then to DP7 (275o) leaving it to starboard
-then to DP5 leaving it to starboard
-then to finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment