Monday, June 7, 2010

In Memory of Mike

Receiving boat of the day award
in Key West with Dan Lorenz
This past Saturday we lost a good friend in a tragic accident. Mike Badendieck was a close companion to a number of people. He had the bearing of a military man (he served a tour aboard a submarine) and showed composure under pressure. He knew how to have fun but had the seriousness to be not taken for granted. Trim and athletic, he was a very accomplished sailor. He could handle any job on the boat.  Mike was a bit quiet but you would get an opinion that was always well thought out. He was passionate about his BMW. Annually he would go to performance driving school with old chum Rob Ramirez. It was washed at least 3 times a week and he was even got caught vacuuming his engine. He positively touched many lives and all will truly miss him. He is survived by his wife Marian Green;  his parents, Laurna and Juergen Badendieck; his sister Claudia (Mike) Simons.  He will also be missed by his Uncle James and Aunt Anne Kalitta, in-laws Lee and Oliver Green,  brother-in-law Edward (Marisa) Green, and nephew Oliver and niece Eleanor.

In lieu of flowers, his family will appreciate memorial donations be made to the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research.

I had quite a few requests for the poem read at the service so here is "Navy Wife", written by Lance Brady for his wife Joan:

She stands behind the man she loves,
A Sailor from the sea,
And waves farewell and sheds a tear,
When err he has to leave.


Each day she humbly carries on
This prayer upon her lips,
"Our Heavenly Father keep them safe,
The men who sail our ships."


She often writes and tells him of,
The things gone wrong ashore,
His oft reply "I love you dear,
But I must sail some more."


So oft she stands out on the pier,
A kiss upon her lips,
Reserved for him who holds her heart,
Her Sailor on the ship.


His final day along the rail,
"Request to go ashore,"
"I love you dear, I’m home to stay,
In ships to sail no more."

Going 19 knots downwind in Key West. Mike is the farthest right standing
Miami standing with Rod Weston, Nancy Caldwell, Rob Ramerez, Mike Pearson, and Doug Scheibner

Yes that is Mike water skiing on a bunk board
Chicago Mac

Mike and Marian loved to ski

Always active here they are with their bikes

A day to remember!
Winner overall Bayview Mac with Rod Weston, Nathan Caspers, Nancy Caldwell,
Fred Rozelle, Steve Rozelle, Colleen Flanagan, and Bob Declercq

At BMW school with Rob Ramirez  and Dave Rodrigas


with Rob Ramirez

with Henry Mistele in Key West






On the way to Nassau, Bahamas
Lynn Kotwicki, Bob Declercq, Colleen Flanagan, Karl Kuspa, Mike Kirkman in Nassau




Partying with crew of Hot Ticket at Mackinac Island


I love my car!
Race from Ft. Lauderdale to Key West January 2010 - Chuck Bayer is also in this video










22 comments:

  1. Frank, A very nice tribute to Mike.

    Although I have sailed with him on & off for 5-6 years, I didn't really know him as well as the rest of the Carinthia crew. When I would come to join you as pickup crew, he would always be accommodating and ask my opinion about the current situation and incorporate my response. This is just such a shock, after having such a great day racing and enjoying his company on the boat afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great man that I feel fortunate to have known and raced with. I have learned so much from him and always respected him. He smiled so much of the time and was always kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Frank. This tribute is very nicely done. We will all miss Mike. Racing will not be the same for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saturday evening was bad enough... Sunday was even worse. Frank, thanks for putting this together. My thoughts and prayers are with Mike's family, the people that were injured and their families, and with those that witnessed this accident.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in the process of pulling together a bunch of pics, too....what a great job, Frank. Very classy and heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not know Mike, but what a wonderful tribute to Mike. Thank you Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice Frank... I am so sad he is gone and I didn't get to sail with him more recently. He is one of the people that was on the boat every time I was and I looked forward to his company. I am going to miss his upbeat attitude, the way he would handle stressful issues and the way he always believed in me. Him and I would harass each other quite frequently and he always made me smile. I truly loved that guy and don't think sailing will ever be the same without him. Godspeed my dear friend... you will be missed so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know Michael as well as I would have liked, but I know he was a splendid sailor and crew member, and will be greatly missed. Like all tragedies we are only left with reflection and a greater appreciation of how special every day is. We will miss you.

    Michael B.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Until we meet again, Mike, until we meet again.

    Thanks for sharing your smile and a lot of laughs. I am truly glad to have known you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prayers for Mike, and condolences for his family and crew.

    The guys on Dolphin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our thoughts are with the Detroit J120 fleet and Mike's family.

    The Capers Crew

    ReplyDelete
  12. Condolences and a heartfelt hug,
    MadMax Team

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kathie O'SullivanJune 8, 2010 at 3:03 PM

    Very nice tribute Frank. I did not know Mike well, but the times I was in his company, he was a pleasure to be around. My heartfelt condolences to his wife, family and all his sailing compadres. He will be greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I regret I never had the chance to buy him a beer. My most sincere sympathies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As a person who sailed with Mike for over 10 years with a fantastic crew aboard a Swan 37 known as The World Is Mad I and the crew are devistated about this loss. All of us from The World are heartborken and will miss Mike dearly. As also a person who with their lucky husband who was there that aweful day on a boat known as Kintama have gotten to know the entire J120 family and have been welcomed in by all especially Mike. We are very sad about all who were hurt and pray for their quick recovery. Dave was one of the last to speak with Mike that tragic day as Mike was doing what he always did ...extending a hand in friendship and congratulating us on our recent marriage. A true gentleman and great friend Mike was to us. The sailing world has definately lost one of the best. Safe Journey Mike.

    Sally and David Rogers Owners Kintama and proud past crew members with Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Frank for the Tribute.... Mike, your camaraderie on past sails will be sorely missed.

    Vince and Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Karen & Bob SmahayJune 9, 2010 at 11:00 PM

    Thank you Frank for this wonderful tribute to Mike; i know he would be honored. We sailed with Mike in the early days on 'The World is Mad' a Swan 37 owned then by Randy Kowalski. We had great times and fond memories of Mike and he will be missed today, tomorrow and always! Sail on, Silver Boy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. He lived his life well. He made so many people happy, most especially our dear Marian. My deepest condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The NOOD weekend started out great!!! and ended like a nightmare. Sunday morning was too surreal to believe. The tragic loss of a fellow J-120 racer leaves a hole in all of our hearts that will not soon be repaired.
    There is a night-lite shining at the end of our dock, Mike. May you always find your way home.
    The J-Hawkers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Frank - What a wonderful tribute to Mike. I was fortunate enough to get to know him pretty well over the last several years and also enjoyed sailing the NSSC Fall Series with him. Mike has always been kind, sincere and a good person all the way around. We had some fun and silly times teaching him how to do JELLO shots without crushing the cup or using his hand. I'm sad that minutes before the accident the only conversatin we had was a hug and a "hello! how are you?" I never heard his answer and I'm certain he didn't hear mine. I will truly miss such a good friend and a great sailor! God speed Mike and Rest In Peace. May fair winds carry your spirit.

    Marian, Carinthia crew and the entire J120 fleet May God bless you all and may you find the strength to continue Mike's passion for sailing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. "Full fathom five thy father lies:
    Of his bones are coral made:
    Those are pearls that were his eyes:
    Nothing of him that doth fade
    But doth suffer a sea-change
    Into something rich and strange."
    -William Shakespeare

    J120 racer, bow/pit...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just learned of Mike's death this past weekend in Port Huron. I knew Mike through Rob Ramirez, and I'm so sorry to hear about Mike's passing. I'll always remember his smile and great attitude. May he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete